Radio Service Engineer – Job Specification
We sell a wide range of radio equipment including the following:
VHF/UHF transceivers, HF Transceivers, Software defined radios, CB radios, Power supplies, Batteries & chargers, cables, Licence free PMR-446 radios, Marine radios, Portable shortwave radios, Antennas for all frequencies from 1.8 MHz to 1.2Ghz. A variety of other consumer electronic products.
Our service department supports the warranty and maintenance of this equipment carrying out first line inspection on faulty product returns. They then make a commercial decision to repair, replace or return to manufacturer, or if necessary repairing to component level. If time allows we also carry out chargeable repairs for our sales counter customers.
Carry out wideband or band coverage changes on Amateur Radio transceivers to give coverage of the new 5Mhz band or other frequencies. This involves removal of surface mount zero ohm resistors, or links.
Many of our new products are digital for the new Amateur DMR, D Star and Fusion services, as such they require knowledge of programming and “code plugs” to enable them to work. Often, we support customers who have issues programing for themselves, so a knowledge of how these programs work will be necessary, but can be learnt on the job.
We distribute the “Elecraft” brand of transceivers and are required to build kits from time to time for customers who want the complete unit, not the kit. We charge for this service.
Workload is variable, but low enough that just one engineer can cope without undue long lead times. Our current service engineer is past retirement age and has coped without issue. Help is on hand from other technical staff who can assist in first line checking and testing if necessary.
Purchasing: You will be responsible for purchasing of spare parts and consumables for the service department and if time allows, assist with the cataloguing and storage, so they are easy to locate and identify.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – — – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
PART TIME OR FULL TIME TECHNICAL SALES PERSON
Radio Sales – Job specification
- Telephone Sales – Answer telephone calls, taking orders, giving advice, dealing with enquiries, returns or problems in a courteous and friendly manner
- Mail Order – process orders from the Internet, telephone, or Post.
- Emails – Respond to E mail enquiries promptly, seeking advice from other staff when required.
- Payments – Process mail order payments via our various systems
- Trade sales – Assist with trade orders & dealer enquiries by telephone. From time to time assist with dealer sales calls
- Assist with the filing of paperwork, delivery notes, invoices etc.
- Web updates – assist, if required, in the updating of our various web sites, reviewing or updating entries and stock.
- Greet customers visiting our showrooms and assist as necessary.
- Microsoft Office – Have a working knowledge of computer operation. We currently use Microsoft Office packages Word, Excel, Access.
- Internet- Be internet literate, capable of using E mail and navigating the internet with ease.
- Have a full clean driving licence
- Have adequate product knowledge – although significant “on-job” product training will be given once you join us for the areas you may be weak in.
Salary Scale: depending on experience and qualifications