All mode multibander HF/VHF/UHF
The FT897D has long been our best selling transceiver of its type, and just listening around the bands, you realise how good they sound, and how many amateur stations are using them !
With Ultra-Wide coverage from top band to 70cms, in all modes it is still exceptional value for money too.
The FT-897D is a rugged, innovative, multiband, multimode portable transceiver for the amateur radio HF/VHF/UHF bands. Providing coverage of the 160-10 meter bands plus the 6 m, 2m, and 70cm bands.
Wideband TX Mod available at £15.00 - please click here to add
It includes operation on the SSB, CW, AM, FM, and Digital modes, and it's capable of 20-Watt portable operation using internal batteries, or up to 100 Watts when using an external 13.8-volt DC power source.
just 7.9" x 3.2" x 9.1" (without knobs), the FT-897 is unmatched in
performance versus size. With the optional FC-30 Automatic Antenna
Tuner installed, the convenient sturdy carrying handle of the FT-897
lets you easily transport your HF/VHF/UHF station to a portable location
and get on the air instantly
Ease of operation of the FT-897 is enhanced by the large-diameter (1.8") Main Tuning Dial,similar in size to the tuning knob of a large base station transceiver.
Selectable tuning steps of 2 kHz/4 kHz per revolution ensure that fine tuning is always available, while allowing easy navigation around your favourite bands
The rugged aluminum die-cast chassis provides a solid foundation for the heat sink for the power amplifier, with a total of almost 40 cubic inches of heat sink surface area available. With its quiet, thermostatically-controlled twin cooling fans, the FT-897 will stand up to the rigors of DX-pedition or home contest use, with dissipation capability to spare.
When you've travelled a great distance to find that ultimate quiet operating location, you want a great receiver so as to take advantage of it ! Yaesu's top receiver design team crafted the front end of the FT-897, accounting for the dramatic differences between low bands like 160 meters and the 430 MHz microwave band. Wide dynamic range and low noise low noise figure are the product of the advanced preamplifier stage with negative feedback for stability, and the GaAs balanced mixer design, with careful gain distribution from the RF through the audio stages.
Flexibility in strong-signal operation is also provided by the RF Gain control, input attenuator, input preamplifier bypass capability (IPO), and Slow/Fast/Off AGC selections
The quiet, fast-acting local oscillator system of the FT-897 borrows extensively from the renowned FT-847, using a Direct Digital Synthesizer (DDS) to achieve fast lock times and silky-smooth tuning in 10 Hz steps. The excellent carrier-to-noise ratio helps preserve spurious-free dynamic range in a crowded band, and the smooth tuning leaves you with the feeling you're using an analog VFO.
The FT-897 includes a wide array of analog and DSP filters to help you dig out those weak DX signals on a crowded band! One-touch activation of the DSP filters, plus a convenient "DSP" LED on the front panel, enhance the ease of using the DSP
DSP BANDPASS FILTER
Separate DSP Bandpass Filters for Voice and CW augment the analog filters, yielding a dramatic improvement in signal-to-noise ratio and interference reduction. For Voice modes, both the low- and high-side cutoff frequencies are independently adjustable, and for CW you may choose bandwidths of 240 Hz, 120 Hz, or a razor-sharp 60 Hz
To reduce interference caused by annoying carriers within the receiver passband, the DSP Auto-Notch provides a significant reduction in the interference level. If multiple carriers are present, the DSP will detect and notch all the carriers present.
DSP NOISE REDUCTION
The very effective DSP Noise Reduction filter of the FT-897 is a tremendous operating aid, greatly reducing background noise without introducing annoying distortion of the desired signal. Operator fatigue is reduced, while signal-to-noise ratio is significantly enhanced
To roll off interference using the analog IF filters, the IF Shift feature varies the frequency of the IF passband across the filter, removing interference from either the high-frequency or low-frequency side without varying the pitch of the incoming signal.
Another noise reduction circuit, in addition to the DSP Noise Reduction, is the IF Noise Blanker. Noise pulses are detected early in the receiver, then amplified and used to drive a carefully-timed gate in the receiver IF that blanks out impulse- type noise from automotive ignition systems.
Overall, the FT897D represents excellent value for money, and is one of our favourite portable/base transceivers.
- Frequency Range Transmit:
- 5167.5 kHz (Alaska Emergency Frequency/USA Version)
- 0.1-56 Mhz, 76-108 Mhz, 118-164 Mhz, 420-470 Mhz
- Emission Modes A1 (CW), A3 (AM), A3J (LSB/USB), F3 (FM),
- F1 (9600 bps packet), F2 (1200 bps packet)
- Frequency Steps 10 Hz (CW/SSB), 100 Hz (AM/FM/WFM)
- Antenna Impedance 50 Ohms, Unbalanced
- Operating Temperature Range -10 C to +60 C
- Frequency Stability ±4 ppm from 1 min. to 60 min after power on.
- @25° C: 1 ppm/hour
- ±0.5 ppm/1 hour @25° C, after warmup
- (with optional TCXO-9)
- Supply Voltage Normal: 13.8 VDC ±15 %, Negative Ground (PSU not supplied)
- FNB-78 (Ni-MH Battery Pack): 13.2 V (Option)
- Current Consumption Squelched: 600 mA (Approx.)
- Receive: 1 A
- Transmit: 22 A
- Dimensions (WxHxD) 200 x 80 x 262mm
- Weight (appx) 3.9 kg (w/o Ni-MH battery, antenna, Microphone)
- RF Power Output (@13.8 V DC)
- SSB/CW/FM AM Carrier
- 160- 6 Metres 100 W 25 W
- 2 Metres - Adjustable up to 50 watts
- 70 Centimetres - Adjustable up to 20 watts
- Modulation Types SSB: Balanced Modulator
- AM: Early Stage (Low Level)
- FM: Variable Reactance
- FM Maximum Deviation ±5 kHz (FM-N: ±2.5 kHz)
- Spurious Radiation -50 dB (1.8-29.7 MHz)
- -60 dB (50/144/430 MHz)
- Carrier Suppression >40 dB
- Undesired Sideband Suppression >50 dB
- Audio Response (SSB) 400 Hz-2600 Hz (-6 dB)
- Microphone Impedance 200-10k Ohms (Nominal: 600 Ohms)
- Circuit Type Double-conversion superheterodyne (SSB/CW/AM/FM)
- Superheterodyne (WFM)
- Intermediate Frequencies 1st : 68.33 MHz (SSB/CW/AM/FM); 10.7 MHz (WFM)
- 2nd: 455 kHz
- (-6/-60 dB) SSB/CW: 2.2 kHz/4.5 kHz
- AM: 6 kHz/20 kHz
- FM: 15 kHz/30 kHz
- FM-N: 9 kHz/25 kHz
- SSB (option YF-122S installed): 2.3 kHz/4.7 kHz (-66 dB)
- CW (option) YF-122C installed) : 500 Hz/2.0 kHz
- SSB/CW AM FM
- 100 kHz-1.8 MHz - 32 ?V -
- 1.8 MHz-28 MHz 0.2 ?V 2 ?V -
- 28 MHz-30 MHz 0.2 ?V 2 ?V 0.5 ?V
- 50 MHz-54 MHz 0.125 ?V 1 ?V 0.2 ?V
- 144/430 MHz 0.125 ?V - 0.2 ?V
- (SSB/CW/AM = 10 dB S/N, FM = 12 dB SINAD)
- Squelch Sensitivity:
- SSB/CW/AM FM
- 100 kHz-1.8 MHz - -
- 1.8 MHz-28 MHz 2.5 ?V -
- 28 MHz-30 MHz 2.5 ?V 0.32 ?V
- 50 MHz-54 MHz 1 ?V 0.16 ?V
- 144/430 MHz 0.5 ?V 0.16 ?V
- Image Rejection HF/50 MHz: 70 dB
- 144/430 MHz: 60 dB
- Maximum Audio Output 2.5 W (4 Ohms, 10% THD or less)
- Audio Output Impedance 4 to 16 Ohms